Skip to main content

5 Financial Things I Wish I knew When I was Younger


Para español, sigue hasta abajo...

Hello everyone! ✋😊 Thanks again for taking the time to read 👀my blog. On my first entry, I mention 8 general items that were necessary in order to help you thrive as an adult👍. However, for this second post, I will be concentrating on the 5 things I wish I knew when I was young regarding my finances. 

These financial concepts were things that either I did not know about 💭or I chose not to pay attention 😓to. I am not saying that this is also your case, but simply to make you aware of some good ideas that might help you better your financial situation😁. These ideas are applicable to anyone looking to grow in this area. 

Here are the 5 Financial Things I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger:

1. Spending all my checks💵💰. When I was 18 I got my first job at a store selling clothes. This was very exciting because I had money, and I could spend it on whatever I wanted. But this was my first mistake because I quickly realized that if I spend every cent I earned, later I would not have any money for other things such as paying the bills, emergency, etc. Therefore, you should consider making a budget out of the money that you earn using a simple rule of 50/30/20 to divide the check for bills, savings/retirement & others. 
 
 
2. Not opening a high-yield savings account📈. My second mistake was to not do research on different banks and their benefits before opening a savings account. Doing an online search can show you the banks with the highest-yield savings account. For example, if you find that 'Bank X' has a savings account with a 0.25% yield versus 'Bank Z' with savings account up to 1.5%, which one do you think is better, and will make your money grow?
 
3. Not saving for an emergency🚨. One thing I learned the hard way was that emergencies ALWAYS happen. Therefore, save some money that you earn each month for emergencies. For example, a car accident, a medical emergency, plumbing issues, etc. Thus, one idea is to save 20 or 30% of your check for these emergencies. 
 
4. Opening (or not opening) too many credit cards💳. Opening a credit card was a great idea for me when I was 20 y/o because I created my credit history. However, opening too many credit cards can get you in trouble, especially if you don't have self-control and spend it all. Therefore, while is good to start early building your credit history, it is important to not go overboard and open too many credit card accounts. And finally, make sure to do the research on these types of credit cards. Find out if they have an annual fee, how much are the APY%, credit limit, and other benefits before opening it. 
 
5. Not saving for retirement👵👴. The future is very important and not thinking about this was another mistake I made when I was younger. We will get old and could become incapable of working. Thus, relying solely on social security is not enough, especially if you live in cities that can be expensive. Therefore, I recommend looking into high-yield savings accounts or Roth IRAs for retirement. 
 

Once again, thanks for your time to read my blog and I hope that it is helpful. 😆😃 

©Maryvi Gonzalez Sola & Queen Mary Anatomy LLC

Please feel free to subscribe, and share with those you think will benefit from these tips!


You can also find me on Fb, Twitter, Insta, YouTube, TikTok, and on my Etsy Shop 👇

https://linktr.ee/queenmaryanatomy




Versión en Español:

¡Hola a todos! ✋😊 Gracias de nuevo por tomarse el tiempo de leer mi blog. En mi primera entrada, menciono ocho elementos generales que eran necesarios para ayudarte a prosperar como adulto👍. Sin embargo, para esta segunda publicación, me concentraré en las cosas que desearía saber cuando era joven con respecto a mis finanzas. Estos conceptos financieros eran cosas de las que no sabía o elegí no prestar atención. No estoy diciendo que este también sea tu caso, sino simplemente para que conozcas algunas buenas ideas que podrían ayudarte a mejorar tu situación financiera😁. Estas ideas son aplicables a cualquiera que busque crecer en esta área. Aquí están las 5 cosas financieras que quise saber cuando era más joven: 
1.Gastar todos mis cheques💵💰. Cuando tenía 18 años conseguí mi primer trabajo en una tienda de ropa. Esto fue muy emocionante porque tenía dinero y podía gastarlo en lo que quisiera. Pero este fue mi primer error porque rápidamente me di cuenta de que si gastaba cada centavo que ganaba, luego no tendría dinero para otras cosas como pagar las facturas, emergencias, etc. Por lo tanto, usted debería considerar hacer un presupuesto con el dinero que gana usando una regla simple de 50/30/20 para dividir el cheque para facturas, ahorros / jubilación e inversiones u otros. 
2.No abrir una cuenta de ahorro de alto rendimiento📈. Mi segundo error fue no investigar sobre diferentes bancos y sus beneficios antes de abrir una cuenta de ahorros. Hacer una búsqueda en línea puede mostrarle los bancos con la cuenta de ahorros de mayor rendimiento. Por ejemplo, si encuentra que el 'Banco X' tiene una cuenta de ahorros con un rendimiento del 0.25% en comparación con el 'Banco Z' con una cuenta de ahorros de hasta el 1.5%, ¿cuál cree que es mejor y hará que su dinero crezca? 
3.No ahorrar para una emergencia🚨. Una cosa que aprendí de la manera más difícil fue que las emergencias SIEMPRE ocurren. Por lo tanto, ahorre algo de dinero que gana cada mes para emergencias. Por ejemplo, un accidente automovilístico, una emergencia médica, problemas de plomería, etc. Por lo tanto, una idea es ahorrar el 20% de su cheque para estas emergencias. 
4.Abrir (o no abrir) demasiadas tarjetas de crédito💳. Abrir una tarjeta de crédito fue una gran idea para mí cuando tenía 20 años porque creé mi historial crediticio. Sin embargo, abrir demasiadas tarjetas de crédito puede causarle problemas, especialmente si no tiene autocontrol y lo gasta todo. Por lo tanto, si bien es bueno comenzar temprano a construir su historial crediticio, es importante no exagerar y abrir demasiadas cuentas de tarjetas de crédito (especialmente esas que le ofrecen en las tiendas con % de descuento, que al final usted paga en intereses). Y finalmente, asegúrese de investigar si tienen una tarifa anual, cuánto son el% APY, el límite de crédito y otros beneficios antes de abrirlo. 
5. No ahorrar para la jubilación👵👴. El futuro es muy importante y no pensar en esto fue otro error que cometí cuando era más joven. Envejeceremos y podríamos volvernos incapaces de trabajar. Por lo tanto, depender únicamente de la seguridad social (SS) no es suficiente, especialmente si vive en ciudades que pueden ser costosas. Por lo tanto, recomiendo buscar cuentas de ahorro de alto rendimiento o Roth IRA para la jubilación, que paga taxes ahora pero no luego. Una vez más, gracias por tu tiempo para leer mi blog y espero que te sea de ayuda. 😆😃No olvides suscribirte a mi canal de YouTube y sígueme en TikTok. Enlaces en la parte superior👆

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scientifically Proven Tips for More Effective Studying

Jailenne I. Quiñones-Rodriguez (she|her|ella)  www.jailennequinones.com in collaboration with QMA Studying is part of everyday life and professional preparation. It is also a technique that requires patience, practice, and trial and error. As you think about studying tips that are right for you, in this blog we explore four scientifically proven study t echniques from scientific journals and some of the world’s best resources like Harvard, Yale, MIT, and Cornell University. 1. Use Active recall   This controversial method of studying was a talking point in 2009 when a psychology professor published an article advising students against reading and rereading textbooks which, he argued, merely lead students to think they know the material better than they do since it is right in front of them. Conversely, he recommended students use active recall: closing the book and reciting everything they can remember up to that point to practice long-term memorization. 2. Use Leitner System   Na

How to be successful in grad school? Advice from a woman in STEAM

Jailenne I. Quiñones-Rodriguez (she|her|ella)  www.jailennequinones.com in collaboration with QMA  According to the United States Census , the number of doctoral degree holders has more than doubled to 4.5 million.  Being a graduate student is… well, it depends on whom you ask; the variety of experiences (and opinions about those experiences) ranges wildly. From my experience, being a graduate student is being in constant learning and training. This training not only contributes to the academic aspect but also involves the emotional and mental components. However, it has been an extremely gratifying experience to be able to be a facilitator to train and influence the lives of so many students and adolescents. For this reason, in the last years of my training, I made the decision to promote pursuing careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) so that minorities, like me, are represented and have role models to fulfill their goals.  With this in mind, I in

Surviving the Transition From High School to College

Jailenne I. Quiñones-Rodriguez (she|her|ella) www.jailennequinones.com in collaboration with QMA   The transition from high school to college is an exciting and scary time in your life and for most people. This is the biggest adaptation you make in your life up until this point. Before you leave the nest without looking back, think about what you’ll do to help yourself make it a smooth transition. During high school , I had the experience of moving from one private to a public one and starting fresh in a new high school. Theoretically, the teaching system is the same but, the change of environment was quite different.  With that move under my belt, I thought the conversion from high school to college would be an easy one for me. As well, I consider myself to be independent in this aspect. After school, I completed my assignments by myself, I kept my room clean without my parents asking. And I could prepare basic meals and take care of myself.   Before freshman year began, I also con