Skip to main content

4 Negotiation Tips I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger


https://linktr.ee/queenmaryanatomy

👋A few years ago I was allowed to host a career lunch for female scientists about negotiation skills with a colleague, and three invited speakers, in a big scientific meeting in San Diego, California. This lunch 🗣 was supposed to inspire people, especially females 👩 across the scientific community to negotiate their way to get their dream job 💪. Why it was targeted to female scientists? Because statistics show that only 37% of people negotiate a salary, and out of that, ONLY 7% of educated females negotiate job benefits. This reality is very troublesome 😓, and I wanted to inspire those who attended my talk (and I still do). 😄 

Being the nerd 🤓 that I am, I prepared my speech💬, my notes📓, and my PowerPoint with insights and step-by-step advice to inspire my fellow female scientists. Little did I know that I would encounter a scenario where there were a hundred technical difficulties with a full house! 😖 The word had spread about this lunch, and it was so packed that there were people outside waiting to come in, and not just for the free meal!👀Meanwhile, my colleague was stressing out because nothing was working, and a little voice in my head wanted to stress out as well. But I pull myself together, I assure my colleague that I would take over without any visuals, and it was going to be alright. Turns out, I was right because this career lunch was a complete success😁. And right before I started my speech, the computer and projector worked, giving us visuals to show our audience!💃 Thus, everything happens for a reason, and in the end, things work out if you are determined. 😇

So, here are 4 negotiation skills that I shared with my audience that day:

1. Change your mindset, and be confident. If you don't believe in yourself, then don't expect others to believe in you as well. Trust that you got the skills necessary to get the job. Apply for it, even if you're not 100% qualified. All you need is 50% of those skills, and you can learn more as you gain experience

2. Prepare a killer Resume/CV, and practice your answers for interview questions. Nowadays, computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Pages, or even Google Docs have resume templates that you can use to prepare a great resume. Also, make sure that your resume is targeted for the position that you're applying by using the keywords of the job posting. Then, search for the most common interview questions, and brainstorm your possible answers. This will give you an idea of what to say with confidence.

3. Apply to more than one job to have leverage. This will increase your chances of appearing as a desirable candidate. And when the hiring officer asks you how much are you expecting to be paid, do not answer with a specific number. Instead, ask them what is the salary range, and the benefits that this position offers. This will give you the advantage to ask for the top salary. Always go for more, not less. 

4. Don't rush to say yes. Make sure take your time to consider this offer for at least one or two days. You can say that you have to consult this offer with your spouse before making a desicion. Is like dating; if you go out with a person that is constantly rushing you, this can make you feel negative vibes about this person. Taking your time can also give YOU time to consider this offer and compare it to other offers that you may have. Finally, select the offer that benefits you the most. 

 I hope that you have enjoyed these tips, and gives you the motivation to get that dream job! In my book, I will be giving more tips, and advice on this, and other related topics about adulting. 

©Maryvi Gonzalez Sola & Queen Mary Anatomy LLC

Book available on                    https://payhip.com/MaryviGonzalez

Please feel free to subscribe, and share with those you think will benefit from these tips!


You can also find me on Fb, Twitter, Insta, YouTube, TikTok, and on my Etsy Shop 👇

https://linktr.ee/queenmaryanatomy










Versión en Español:

Saludos👋 Hace unos años se me permitió organizar un almuerzo profesional para científicas sobre habilidades de negociación con un colega y tres oradores invitados en una gran reunión científica en San Diego, California. Se suponía que este almuerzo 🗣 debía inspirar a las personas, especialmente a las mujeres de toda la comunidad científica a negociar la forma de conseguir el trabajo de sus sueños 💪.

¿Por qué estaba dirigido a mujeres científicas? Porque las estadísticas muestran que solo el 37% de las personas negocia un salario, y de eso, SOLO el 7% de las mujeres educadas negocia beneficios laborales. Esta realidad es muy problemática 😓, y quería inspirar a quienes asistieron a mi charla (y todavía lo hago). 😄 

Siendo la nerd 🤓 que soy, preparé mi discurso💬, mis notas📓 y mi PowerPoint con ideas y consejos paso a paso para inspirar a mis compañeras científicas. ¡Poco sabía que me encontraría con un escenario en el que habría cien dificultades técnicas con una casa llena! 😖 ¡Se había corrido la voz sobre este almuerzo, y estaba tan lleno que había gente afuera esperando para entrar, y no solo por la comida gratis! 👀

Mientras tanto, mi colega estaba estresada porque nada funcionaba, y una pequeña voz en mi cabeza también quería estresarse. Pero me recompongo, le aseguro a mi colega que me haría cargo sin ningún tipo de imagen, y que todo iba a estar bien. Resulta que tenía razón porque este almuerzo profesional fue un éxito total😁. ¡Y justo antes de comenzar mi discurso, la computadora y el proyector funcionaron, dándonos imágenes para mostrar a nuestra audiencia! 💃 Por lo tanto, todo sucede por una razón, y al final, las cosas funcionan si estás decidido. 😇

Entonces, aquí hay 4 habilidades de negociación que compartí con mi audiencia ese día:

1. Cambie su forma de pensar y tenga confianza. Si no cree en usted mismo, no espere que los demás también crean en usted. Confíe en que tiene las habilidades necesarias para conseguir el trabajo. Solicítelo, incluso si no está 100% calificado. Todo lo que necesita es el 50% de esas habilidades, y puede aprender más a medida que adquiera experiencia

2. Prepare un currículum vítae increíble y practique sus respuestas para las preguntas de la entrevista. Hoy en día, los programas de computadora como Microsoft Word, Pages o incluso Google Docs tienen plantillas de currículum que puede utilizar para preparar un excelente currículum. Además, asegúrese de que su currículum esté orientado al puesto que está solicitando utilizando las palabras clave de la publicación de trabajo. Luego, busque las preguntas de entrevista más comunes y haga una lista de ideas sobre sus posibles respuestas. Esto le dará una idea de qué decir con confianza.

3. Solicite más de un trabajo para tener influencia. Esto aumentará sus posibilidades de aparecer como un candidato deseable. Y cuando el oficial de contratación le pregunte cuánto espera recibir, no responda con un número específico. En su lugar, pregúnteles cuál es el rango de salario y los beneficios que ofrece este puesto. Esto le dará la ventaja de solicitar el salario máximo. Siempre busca más, no menos. 

4. No se apresure a decir que sí. Asegúrese de tomarse su tiempo para considerar esta oferta durante al menos uno o dos días. Puedes decir que tienes que consultar esta oferta con tú cónyuge antes de tomar una decisión. Es como tener citas; Si sales con una persona que te apura constantemente, esto puede hacerte sentir vibras negativas sobre esa persona. Tomarse su tiempo también puede darle tiempo a USTED para considerar esta oferta y compararla con otras ofertas que pueda tener. Finalmente, seleccione la oferta que más le beneficie. 

 Espero que hayas disfrutado estos consejos y te dé la motivación para conseguir el trabajo de tus sueños. En mi libro (que se publicará pronto), daré más consejos y recomendaciones sobre este y otros temas relacionados con la edad adulta.

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scientifically Proven Tips for More Effective Studying

Jailenne I. Quiñones-Rodriguez (she|her|ella)  www.jailennequinones.com in collaboration with QMA Studying is part of everyday life and professional preparation. It is also a technique that requires patience, practice, and trial and error. As you think about studying tips that are right for you, in this blog we explore four scientifically proven study t echniques from scientific journals and some of the world’s best resources like Harvard, Yale, MIT, and Cornell University. 1. Use Active recall   This controversial method of studying was a talking point in 2009 when a psychology professor published an article advising students against reading and rereading textbooks which, he argued, merely lead students to think they know the material better than they do since it is right in front of them. Conversely, he recommended students use active recall: closing the book and reciting everything they can remember up to that point to practice long-term memorization. 2. Use Leitner System   Na

How to be successful in grad school? Advice from a woman in STEAM

Jailenne I. Quiñones-Rodriguez (she|her|ella)  www.jailennequinones.com in collaboration with QMA  According to the United States Census , the number of doctoral degree holders has more than doubled to 4.5 million.  Being a graduate student is… well, it depends on whom you ask; the variety of experiences (and opinions about those experiences) ranges wildly. From my experience, being a graduate student is being in constant learning and training. This training not only contributes to the academic aspect but also involves the emotional and mental components. However, it has been an extremely gratifying experience to be able to be a facilitator to train and influence the lives of so many students and adolescents. For this reason, in the last years of my training, I made the decision to promote pursuing careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) so that minorities, like me, are represented and have role models to fulfill their goals.  With this in mind, I in

Surviving the Transition From High School to College

Jailenne I. Quiñones-Rodriguez (she|her|ella) www.jailennequinones.com in collaboration with QMA   The transition from high school to college is an exciting and scary time in your life and for most people. This is the biggest adaptation you make in your life up until this point. Before you leave the nest without looking back, think about what you’ll do to help yourself make it a smooth transition. During high school , I had the experience of moving from one private to a public one and starting fresh in a new high school. Theoretically, the teaching system is the same but, the change of environment was quite different.  With that move under my belt, I thought the conversion from high school to college would be an easy one for me. As well, I consider myself to be independent in this aspect. After school, I completed my assignments by myself, I kept my room clean without my parents asking. And I could prepare basic meals and take care of myself.   Before freshman year began, I also con